Friday, July 21, 2017

Adult Review: Manhattan Lockdown

Based on an advanced reader copy received through Edelweiss+ in return for an honest review.



Manhattan Lockdown
Paul Batista

Overall Rating: 3/5 
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 1/5
Writing: 2/5

Manhattan Lockdown tells the story of a bombing in New York City, an apparent terror attack on the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It follows a variety of interesting characters as they begin the process of locking down the island of Manhattan.

I'll be honest. I didn't finish. I actually really wanted to; the plot is captivating and the story made me deeply curious about what was going to happen and how it was going to resolve. But the characters were one-dimensional, cardboard cut-outs with very little appeal and the pace of the novel dragged horribly. The first four chapters tell the exact same sequence of events from the perspective of four different people without advancing the story. The first four chapters cover about fifteen minutes of in-story time and without sucking me into the lives of any of those people. I was really disappointed, since I had really been looking forward to reading this. I still look forward to reading it, for the story, but it's just not something I can handle right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment