Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Teen Review: Mimus




Mimus
Lilli Thal


Overall Rating: 5/5 <- genuine average
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 5/5

Mimus is the story of Florin, the crown prince of a kingdom set in the Middle Ages, though the world is not exactly our own. His father is tricked into agreeing to a peace treaty and Florin in turn is trapped by King Theodo, who decides to apprentice the prince to his court jester, a grumpy, taciturn man named Mimus.

I listened to this book on audio CD several years ago, but it has so captured my heart that I own a paperback copy as well. Lilli Thal's characters are complex and compelling and her world is realistic enough to believe while still whimsical enough to draw you in and makes you want to stay there. This book had excellent compulsion bait: I couldn't put the audio book down. It was one of those books where I sat in my car whenever I'd gotten where I was going to just listen to the reader talking about my favorite people just a little longer.

Highly recommended for readers of all ages, though the main characters are teenagers. Mimus is an older man which gives the story some depth for adults as well, as he is also extremely relateable.

No comments:

Post a Comment